Author Topic: What 2D Game Engines are best for making levels and their maps?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Cyartog959

I kinda had some thoughts on those that are making 2D games, even maps, through engines capable of 2D games, not counting engines in 2.5D or 3D.

2D games of all kinds have come quite a long way from their past years, from Mario, through Sonic, and others, even seeing more larger, longer maps by having stronger CPUs, more RAM, and other small tech advancements and new programs to make 2D game making more easier and more efficient.

Larger maps weren't previously reachable before that, even though clever trickery via programmers did made it so, like how Sonic 3's Hydrocity Zone's maps were more larger and longer than Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone's, from what I've read, but now, they are, and still will... but the choice is all up to the people.

Speedrunners, in a different matter, do have no problem blazing through them, from small maps to latest, longer maps, because they all like to take on the challenge on clearing them in shorter times than may people play normally, and I admire their efforts for going for their own records.

I've loved longer and/or larger maps in 2D games, because of my curiosities of 'em, and was astounded by Sonic Colors DS' Asteroid Coaster Act 2's size, which is 44,256 pixels wide, the longest in any 2D Sonic game by far(not counting other maps that surpass the horizontal length, but not in actual completion length, like Sonic Superstars, for instance), and Hollow Knight's overall Hallownest map size of 72,622 pixels wide and 48,128 pixels tall, but I feel, depending on well suited flows to clear them, we could see more maps longer/larger than that, thanks to RAM memory increases, but the game engines, if any are in need of it, should be updated to accommodate those larger amounts, not to mention stronger CPUs for computers.

I do my best to try not to gripe about 'em, too, despite how longer and/or larger they're still getting.

With all the extra computing processing power and RAM memory, I personally feel people who make 2D games should take better advantage of 'em to make far more longer/ larger maps and make the best of 'em before we get more increases of 'em.

So, I ask anyone on the VGMaps community this, what do you think of what 2D game engines are more suited to making games and their maps, preferably large, long maps?

They can be used to make regular platformers inspired by the likes of whatever series people love, like Sonic, classic Zelda, or Metroidvanias.

I could count GameMaker being one, and Clickteam Fusion, but I also count Retro Engine(if you've not heard of it yet, that is) being one, too, because its tailored for 2D games besides Sonic.

What other advantages and disadvantages between specific 2D game engines could you also lay us out on?