Author Topic: Dual-Screen Gaming Handhelds Need a Great Resurgence  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Cyartog959

Dual-Screen Gaming Handhelds Need a Great Resurgence
« on: June 13, 2024, 07:27:07 pm »
I've been seeing great, actual handhelds in gaming's history, but lately, as others felt, I've been strongly missing the real desire to actually play a dual-screen handheld system again.

What I mean is, the likes of Nintendo DS and 3DS, since, for the moment, they're the only handhelds that do dual-screen gaming that a lotta people love so much, its too precious to just give up because of what too many people are hooked on to lately.

They've given us great joys for us having tough times in our lives, personal or otherwise, bringing us conveniences no other gaming system could, such as having minimaps on the second, lower screen, while keeping the gameplay going on the upper screen, or, in specific cases, make for somewhat a tall screen for viewing more surroundings, and, of course, the need of competition in portability, not like home consoles, though.

The 3DS gave us pure console-like gameplay no other handheld has yet, barring the Vita, but, the one strong thing about the systems' screens is, they don't actually match each others' native resolution and screen ratio sizes. The upper screen's native size is 424x240, and the lower screen's is 320x240, still maintaining the standard 4:3 screen size, not that there's a problem with that size, 'cause there's lots of screens with that size that we're used to.

I've seen a few new handhelds, but none of them seem to actually give the actual feeling of an actual true successor to the 3DS. I don't count the Switch family line being one, because its not. Its only a home console, as people already stated, not the other way around, and has never been the actual successor to the 3DS family line, and never will be, no matter what other people claim.

From what I've watched and heard lately about Nintendo, so much of handheld gaming's greatest in history has been under constant siege, harming so many efforts of game preservationists and archivists, including their recent actions that made so many gamers turn on them badly, it hurts their hearts to see it, even mine.

I strongly feel that there's so many good dual-screen games out there, it seems that so much people need to get back into it, spend more time on them rather than the Switch, or any other mobile devices.

Gamers have been trying to preserve all those dual-screen games, and they've done very good, but we need to make those efforts far more widespread to everyone, even young gamers that haven't heard of nor played such systems' games, even if Nintendo can't seem to appreciate such efforts people have been doing lately.

People made such great games on those systems, and felt good doing it, but there needs to be new dual-screen systems so devs can actually relive those joys of developing dual-screen games again, without worrying about them being underpowered or incapable.

There should be new dual-screen handhelds to serve as actual, standalone successors to the 3DS, needing to be far more powerful than the 3DS and more than the Switch, mainly with both screens' native resolutions actually matching their sizes, say, about, 494x286 for both screens, and some new surprising features no other gaming system could try to replicate, not even on mobile, and with new, stronger SDKs to develop games on it, too, those that people can actually keep, rather than being lent by said companies. Its not impossible, you know. Just need to think more outside the box.

People need to step up those efforts and carry what Nintendo seemed to stop. I think, because of what infamous actions they've did lately, I wouldn't bank on them for making new dual-screen systems.

I'm still hopeful people will use their knowledge and experience in hardware and software engineering and manufacturing to make new, standalone dual-screen gaming systems to continue those same experiences and joys we've been missing so much today.

All it takes is great effort, and it will be completely worthwhile for gaming history all over the world.

Offline Cyartog959

Re: Dual-Screen Gaming Handhelds Need a Great Resurgence
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 03:45:32 am »
I strongly feel people lately have been taking dual-screen handheld gaming systems and their exclusive made games for granted, and that's been harming not just the handheld gaming market but that being a big part of the gaming industry as a whole, must as much as home console gaming.

There's plenty of advantages of dual-screen handhelds no other gaming system could, and I'd think of greater advantages of a dual-screen handheld having BOTH wider screens at once!

I think there's a video displaying one of the best DS games that display such possibilities of any game having both wider screens at once that's stemming great inspiration for what I mentioned.

Sonic Colors Widescreen Patch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHH_7FXss60

I really like how that video displayed what possibilities any new handheld systems could have playing games with 2 wider screens. I'd imagine plenty of possibilities.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 01:47:17 pm »
We all have such really good memories of our best dual-screen handheld gaming systems too precious to let go, which we don't want to, even though Nintendo made them, but I still believe there's lots more potential beneath them. It just needs to be looked in more.

Anyone having good product, designing, hardware and software engineering skills should really think of making new dual-screen handhelds inspired by the likes of DS/DSi & 3DS, and make their designs non-Mobile nor Switch based, but make them much better, addressing what problems they had, like local connection ad-hoc radius range, slow download speeds, & battery life and usage duration, and incorporate new additions no single screen gaming system could have, home or otherwise. And have new SDKs that support changes to better become more adapted to present game engines for better 3rd party support & others.

In short, if Nintendo, in their rather uncertain, present state, actually falls flat on whatever they're working on, and whatever bad business practices harming gamers & preservation they keep on continuing leads to it(and I just heard so many about that lately, don't get me wrong), we need a "Plan B" of sorts for the gaming industry just in case, and to better anticipate such outcomes.

Just because the Switch's hybrid console blueprint is deemed the best, doesn't mean it has to be THE definitive blueprint, nor the future, of console or handheld gaming. Its the overall, actual experience of playing actual handheld games on said systems that matters, and the Switch just doesn't really match it up in any way, nor makes it any better. It doesn't really feel the same at all. It feels like a void in need of filling, so to speak.

It would also help give lots of past dual-screen games new, better leases on life, even ports. There's lots in need of re-recognition. Nobody should ignore them any longer, not even younger children.

It's time people step up to the plate and give dual-screen gaming eternal preservation and recognition they still truly deserve.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 08:01:33 am by Cyartog959 »

Offline VGCartography

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 07:58:00 am »
I set up DS/3DS emulators on Retroarch recently, I still have both but I haven't jailbroken them and I like seeing what the big screen has to offer. But, the downside is that games like Hotel Dusk lose some of the magic when they use special features like closing and reopening the system. On the other hand, there are so many fantastic RPGs and other games that work really well with one large screen and the other screen off in the corner - especially with the right analog mapped to cursor/clicking, it works really well. I've been enjoying revisiting some of the older DS titles especially that haven't been ported. Will always be a bit awkward to play outside their original hardware for sure.