Author Topic: The Flaws of Sonic Origins & Superstars, & How to Avoid Recreating Them  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Cyartog959

OK, for as long as we remember, Sonic Origins and Sonic Superstars are the most recent Sonic games to date, but I would like to place statements out, and how people could, can, and will take the time to reflect on its flaws and shortcomings, and how they can truly avoid repeating them in the future, when it comes to game design. Sure, it can be fun for some, but others stated otherwise more.

Sonic Origins, being another compilation, was to bring the best Sonic games we have had in one roof, once again, but the games were all brought to redoing by using the Retro Engine, which is RSDK Version 5U, that updates it to run prior games that run prior versions before upgrading said engine again and again.

While its nice to have, the decisions in having to play those past games again came out contradictory to game preservationists still working to keep original versions playable and running beyond decades. We're trying to have numerous outlets in playing them again, not less. Its rather unnecessary for what Sega did.

I mean, we still have the games still emulated, so, the very least we could've had is the actual choice to play emulated original versions, and the Retro Engine enhanced ports at once, rather than being wholly unified in one collection. People still play those emulated games, and they'd prefer that over the flawed collection.

The Drop Dash move in past Sonic games are truly pointlessly shoehorned in. I mean, just because its a very amazing new move to use in Sonic Mania doesn't mean all past and future Sonic games HAVE to have the Drop Dash in. Its not meant to be a mandatory requirement to get by the stages, even when they're more or less shorter than Mania's.

In points of history and in sense of its proper continuity, that contradicts the point of it supposed to be a compilation of Sonic games in the past. And, it should've been restricted to Classic Sonic only, not widespread to everywhere in the series, even Modern Sonic.

If any later 2D Sonic game should have Drop Dash in, please keep it as an optional choice, not mandatory.

Of course, I can't forget the addition of Origins Plus that includes Amy and past Game Gear games. Amy in later 2D Classic Sonic games should be better utilized for a bit more than just her hammer. At least, it would help her stand out from the others.

Now, to Sonic Superstars...

That game's been out for months, but I, having not played it myself, expected that setbacks would be abound when people played it, and I was right. The execution has been not very well-made in the eyes and minds of many still expecting a proper continuation

The levels are all original, yes, just as we would want in later 2D Sonic games, but their overall execution in style and level design comes quite short in their overall presentation. I mean, much of

The price point of $60, regardless of medium, huge pass on it. And with not much to offer on the package by meager cosmetics to multiplayer skins for its competition mode.

The engine that runs it is in Unity rather than Retro Engine. And its attempts to replicate what physics truly worked in Mania, kinda spotted out a few more annoying irritations than more perfections. I mean, some people did find more flaws not many looked at. Won't say, cause I can't keep track of 'em.

The plotline had very little to no coherency of continuity and overall adherence to the actual scheme Dr. Robotnik tried to commit, with no actual explanation to whatever he wanted to rule the world with, besides still trying to get the Chaos Emeralds again. Sure, Fang got brought into the scheme, but still.

Moreover, the story isn't truly set to have a proper explanation to how Robotnik escaped from a self-created pocket void from the Phantom Ruby from Sonic Mania Plus' Encore Mode's ending. There should've been a Classic Sonic game that follows up on it before setting any other new story. Its definitely an out of place continuity error for me.

Superstars' music tracks are fine to hear for some, but others, they lack in such energy and vibrant varieties we have been used to in past games. Even some prior sound effects are improperly out of place in a Classic Sonic game. I can hear certain sound effects from Sonic Lost World and others obviously played in key points. It like an unnecessary bridging of Classic and Modern Sonic in many aesthetics.

If its one other thing I find more annoying in Superstars, its the habit of putting in many of the same, old, Badniks over and over again! Crabmeat, Buzz Bomber, Slicer, Anton, yep, you name them. And the new Badniks almost all have their names labeled with the generically bland "Mecha" affix in them, rather than their appropriate naming choices.

The EggRobos are okay, they should be featured more, but they obviously, and erroneously, use the Modern Sonic design instead of Classic Sonic's design. Both designs from both co-continuities(which should still be so) should keep their own, not use one for both or one over the other.

The point of any new sequel to any game is to have all-new enemies in them, rather than just reuse and recycle same old enemies over and over, as prior Sonic games have.

The bosses, oh, boy... it should've been a prime reason why the game should've been nicknamed "Sonic SuperSLOGS", because of how boring and slogging it is to try to score hits on each boss and having to wait until we could hit them again. The designs are original, yes, but their execution could've been better. Prior Sonic games don't have it, not even Sonic Mania.

To point out, yes, there were very little original Zones in Sonic Mania, I can sympathize with that, but understand that the game's meant to be an anniversary commemoration of Sonic the Hedgehog, so past levels from games can be expected, yet, some original levels in the story have to be included. Otherwise, it wouldn't do well as the proper return to 2D Sonic roots we've been wanting for. That, and the bosses are more straightforward to the point with very little slugging down thrown in.

The (SPOILERS!!) final Zone, Egg Fortress, I can state that this Zone is the most unsatisfying final level I've seen in any Sonic game, regardless of what came prior to it. All it is just a mere struggling trek to a mere shambling, albeit truly incompletely rushed, supervillain stronghold to stop Robotnik's scheme from coming to be, taking to the end of its singular Act, and nearly back to the start via an unstable, unexplainable time-reversing creation of his serving as its Act 2.

I mean, really. I felt that Zone lacking in what others have pulled off before. Titanic Monarch did well in being a good final level, but Freedom Planet's Final Dreadnought, that brought better means of how an actual final level in any game would've been(barring any prior tech limits & game design decisions & such).

The encompassing of an actual, whole supervillain stronghold, split into multiple stages, each taking place in different parts of said stronghold, with their own locations' themes & aesthetics depicting its depths, such as the hangar, armory, and power core, are all encompassed as the whole trek into the depths of the villain's well-defended establishment, all while still under one whole coherent setting to solidify the whole, well-made finale. And each ending with its own unique boss, with the Wily Castle formula staples thrown in, axing out a mandatory boss rush in the end, it gave greater emphasis in having a great, and with 4 Acts/Rounds rather than 2, well-established finale to the overall game's story.

The point of my post here is for anyone to acknowledge those flaws, evaluate them, and what people can do in the near future to avoid making key bad decisions/mistakes in their projects.

And, I apologize for this long post, but my thoughts had to be brought out here.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 08:47:45 pm by Cyartog959 »

Offline inmastvesta

Re: The Flaws of Sonic Origins & Superstars, & How to Avoid Recreating Them
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 02:04:07 am »
I love the Sonic games but the sites I used to play them on now cost money. Is there a site that can play these games online?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 02:05:19 am by inmastvesta »

Offline oxygentow

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 08:22:08 pm »
I totally get where you're coming from with those thoughts on Sonic Origins and Sonic Superstars. As someone who's been a fan of the Sonic franchise for years, it's frustrating to see potential not fully realized, especially when it comes to beloved classics.

I remember playing the original Sonic games back in the day, and there's just something about them that sticks with you. So, when Sonic Origins was announced, I was excited to relive those moments with some modern upgrades. But, like you mentioned, the decision to use the Retro Engine for all the games felt like a bit of a double-edged sword. Sure, it was nice to have updated versions, but I missed the option to play the original emulated versions. There’s a certain nostalgia and authenticity in the original experience that you can’t replicate with enhancements. And don't get me started on the Drop Dash—it was cool in Sonic Mania, but forcing it into older games felt unnecessary.

Sonic Superstars was another mixed bag for me. I was hyped for a new 2D Sonic game with original levels, but the execution left me wanting more. The levels looked great, but the gameplay didn’t always hit the mark, especially with those drawn-out boss fights. It felt like the pacing was off, and I found myself wishing for the tight, fast-paced action that Sonic is known for. And the price point? Yeah, that was a tough pill to swallow, especially when the content didn’t fully justify it.

I guess what it comes down to is that I want to see Sonic games that respect their roots while also pushing the envelope. There’s a fine line between nostalgia and innovation, and I hope Sega can find that balance in the future. We know the potential is there—they’ve shown it before—so here’s hoping they take all this feedback to heart.

Thanks for starting this conversation. It's always good to know other fans feel the same way.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2024, 09:37:19 pm »
I totally get where you're coming from with those thoughts on Sonic Origins and Sonic Superstars. As someone who's been a fan of the Sonic franchise for years, it's frustrating to see potential not fully realized, especially when it comes to beloved classics.

I remember playing the original Sonic games back in the day, and there's just something about them that sticks with you. So, when Sonic Origins was announced, I was excited to relive those moments with some modern upgrades. But, like you mentioned, the decision to use the Retro Engine for all the games felt like a bit of a double-edged sword. Sure, it was nice to have updated versions, but I missed the option to play the original emulated versions. There’s a certain nostalgia and authenticity in the original experience that you can’t replicate with enhancements. And don't get me started on the Drop Dash—it was cool in Sonic Mania, but forcing it into older games felt unnecessary.

Sonic Superstars was another mixed bag for me. I was hyped for a new 2D Sonic game with original levels, but the execution left me wanting more. The levels looked great, but the gameplay didn’t always hit the mark, especially with those drawn-out boss fights. It felt like the pacing was off, and I found myself wishing for the tight, fast-paced action that Sonic is known for. And the price point? Yeah, that was a tough pill to swallow, especially when the content didn’t fully justify it.

I guess what it comes down to is that I want to see Sonic games that respect their roots while also pushing the envelope. There’s a fine line between nostalgia and innovation, and I hope Sega can find that balance in the future. We know the potential is there—they’ve shown it before—so here’s hoping they take all this feedback to heart.

Thanks for starting this conversation. It's always good to know other fans feel the same way.

Thank you! I feel truly relieved to know this.

I've enjoyed how the well-loved formula 2D Sonic games still remains a true favorite among others, even though the later games didn't utilize it for a bit long. Sonic 3 as a whole, you know, from both halves, that is, really stood well to provide key improvements, which carried onto Mania, but seemed to halt once again by Superstars.

The level designs, by the way, they're all made kinda nice, but they're a bit far too leaning on using the Chaos Emeralds' powers and 4-player co-op, which kinda disrupted the flow of specific, past 2D Sonic games. Felt like their powers could've been better utilized.

I didn't know of their length, but I wouldn't think they're actually longer than Mania, aside from the sloggish boss battles. Speedrunners that played the game truly breezed through them like almost nothing. Almost.

Wonder what their lengths are actually like if the layouts were made in 16x16 tile sizes?

Sure, the game tried to make sure 2D Sonic games could continue independently from the 3D Sonic games, but that could've been done differently and still more than guaranteed its independent continuation in the right hands. I mean, sure, Arzest tried, but couldn't grasp creating a successful game lately.

And, yes, Evening Star did come close to having another new Sonic game that could've given us a great new game after Mania, chronologically, that is, but not going for the anniversary theme, because that game did it, but due to the development of their own 3D game, which was Penny's Big Breakway, which used the all-new Star Engine, not Retro Engine, and already having heard many times that Whitehead wanted to make one in his career, plans about that went right down the gutter. Thank goodness no prior bad friction led to it, though.

Superstars tried to cater to the alleged "modern" audience that "claims" to favor 3D over 2D by "modernizing" the 2D formula, or something else besides it, but 3D, while still good in proper outlets and visions, can't truly replace 2D gaming in any way, shape or form.

In fact, the only true audience gaming brought is the same, singular audience that really grew up playing 2D games before 3D came into the industry. Singular, not multiple. And the tastes of 2D gaming from its past and its true origins can't truly be changed, no matter what. Its come a very long way, and we can still keep it completely going for longer than decades.

If there's one thing about this, its that the wheel, in a relative sense and meaning, can't be truly reinvented over and over constantly. Try to whittle the wheel down in that manner, the wheel can potentially be worn down.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 04:07:06 am »
I did forget some more minor flaws Superstars has.

There's plenty of inconsistent sound placements, even when specific minor actions occur, such as Tails' flying sound incorrectly from Modern Tails' flying, not from Classic Tails. Why, anyone with good ears can recognize specific sound effects from past Sonic games, even 3D, like Lost World's or Adventure 2's sounds. Even more, there's hardly any sound in many in-game scenes, preferably during some end-stage Zone to Zone in-game transition cutscenes, though few placed in are heard quite hollow.

I can't speak about that a lot, 'cause that's a lotta description to go through.

Have you even noticed the animated cutscenes, apart from their slightly cruder styling and a bit inadequate compositing in post, compared to others that were animated quite better, weren't that finalized as some think? I've seen scenes better animated than those. If you're not sure, watch them closely and see what I mean.

Did you also know the cutscenes in FMV were zoomed in, or cropped by a small percentage of the picture, unlike all prior scenes? That visually cut a bit of the scenes' pictures off. They should all be viewed normally, as how they truly fit on any TV screen.

The Special Stage structure's been unnecessarily reverted back to the manner from Dimps' Sonic games, mainly the Advance Trilogy and Rush games. You know, each Chaos Emerald's chance fixed to one specific Zone, instead of letting the Chaos Emeralds get collected, regardless of what Zone anyone's in.

The music, there's many inconsistencies about specific songs, though I'm sure many have spoken about that. Some are great, but others... not so. Some people even pointed out some tracks went with the "Sonic 4" music style for them, and that's what they loathe plenty.

(SPOILER WARNING ABOUT FINALE)

The requirement to access the Last Story was very unnecessary, having to both collect all Chaos Emeralds, beat the Main Story' final boss, Egg Diablo, and Trip's Story's final boss, Grande Mecha Fang, before going against the true final boss, Great Dark Dragon. That's more of a drag to get there. Prior Sonic games have the best method since Sonic 3, get all Chaos Emeralds, face the true final boss, get the good ending.

Well, games may, and still need, to have people with their outside eyes to keep such qualities well-maintained, even the QoL cosmetics.