Author Topic: JonLeung's Requests  (Read 95763 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: JonLeung's Requests
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2024, 05:50:35 pm »
Yes, but let's not forget, there's swathes of games across numerous systems not yet mapped, and I don't mean well-known games alone.

With so much focus on NES maps a bit too much lately, I'm feeling concerned about others not tackling other games' maps, not counting other matters occupying their time.

I'm still hopeful others will shift focus from NES maps to other systems' games' maps. There's still so much to cover.

I don't think that the NES has been focused on much lately - especially when compared to previous years.  If you look at the majority of NES maps in the past year, many of them are from zagato blackfist, and some from mechaskrom.  Others too, but I wouldn't say there's a ton of people focused on the NES right now.

I think it's just been mentioned at least a couple times about the plausibility of the entire NES library being mapped, because it is one of the most popular yet simplest consoles fondly remembered by gamers around my age, so it would mean a lot if we could ever proclaim to have the entire NES library mapped.

But ultimately, people will map what they like, so I don't think other platforms are necessarily being ignored in favour of the NES.  Or that mappers that have been working on the NES feel like they'd rather be working on something else.  No one's stopping them!

Personally, BESIDES the NES, I'd like to see more of the Super NES (favourite console of all time), the Genesis (could always have more Sega representation), and the PC (you will notice there are a lot of '90s requests - should be technically easy AND very nostalgic to those who grew up with a computer).  Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the '90s - and now I'm dating myself.  (Strange to consider that this site launched in 2002, which wasn't that far away from the '90s!)

I may be encouraging the mapping of those platforms, for what little effect that actually has, but of course, I certainly welcome maps from any platform, even ones I've never or barely heard of, because I'm sure they are just as loved or nostalgic to others.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2024, 10:08:06 am »
Yes, but let's not forget, there's swathes of games across numerous systems not yet mapped, and I don't mean well-known games alone.

With so much focus on NES maps a bit too much lately, I'm feeling concerned about others not tackling other games' maps, not counting other matters occupying their time.

I'm still hopeful others will shift focus from NES maps to other systems' games' maps. There's still so much to cover.

I don't think that the NES has been focused on much lately - especially when compared to previous years.  If you look at the majority of NES maps in the past year, many of them are from zagato blackfist, and some from mechaskrom.  Others too, but I wouldn't say there's a ton of people focused on the NES right now.

I think it's just been mentioned at least a couple times about the plausibility of the entire NES library being mapped, because it is one of the most popular yet simplest consoles fondly remembered by gamers around my age, so it would mean a lot if we could ever proclaim to have the entire NES library mapped.

But ultimately, people will map what they like, so I don't think other platforms are necessarily being ignored in favour of the NES.  Or that mappers that have been working on the NES feel like they'd rather be working on something else.  No one's stopping them!

Personally, BESIDES the NES, I'd like to see more of the Super NES (favourite console of all time), the Genesis (could always have more Sega representation), and the PC (you will notice there are a lot of '90s requests - should be technically easy AND very nostalgic to those who grew up with a computer).  Perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the '90s - and now I'm dating myself.  (Strange to consider that this site launched in 2002, which wasn't that far away from the '90s!)

I may be encouraging the mapping of those platforms, for what little effect that actually has, but of course, I certainly welcome maps from any platform, even ones I've never or barely heard of, because I'm sure they are just as loved or nostalgic to others.

Its not entirely strange because the site launched in 2002. Its amazing for such a site as this to truly contribute the cause of video game cartography of all kinds, and having grown so much since then, its become a good repository for game maps through history and for preservation purposes, too.

I love the kind of work you and many people here are doing, and I have strong hope, faith, and confidence that those efforts will keep on growing and can be taught to newer people thinking of joining in.

Yes, people map what they like, but they should still consider the many games not yet mapped, even those not yet finished.

The NES map library, while vast, can still be susceptible to new games now and then. And sure enough, I previously thought others were focused on the platform a bit too much, not just because of its simplicity and popularity with numerous gamers through the years. Its just that there are still loads of games on several systems out there not yet touched upon, even obscure games.

So many still yet to be covered, as I have been trying to bring such games up for being on any game cartographers' schedule, and they all need to be mapped sooner or later.

We have many tools for our efforts, but we'll surely need more of said tools to cover more ground.

The Oscar games, Tanukii Studios' Kokopolo, the highly flopped WiiWare outing, Blaster Master: Overdrive, LostWinds, the Cocoto games, de Blob, all 3 King Games' promotinal Burger King themed games, Jett Rocket, Mutant Mudds, yes, you name them, and not many people have seen their maps, nor heard of 'em, for those that don't know.

And, of course, the younger people, even the children, may want to be interested in those efforts, not to mention know how long, short, or large the games' maps are, so its necessary for them to learn and acknowledge it, too.

There's still loads of many games out there still waiting to be mapped. People may have to cover them in their schedules sometime soon.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2024, 09:05:15 am »
zagato blackfist comes through with more point-and-click adventure games on the NES by contributing maps of the long-requested horror classics, Shadowgate and Uninvited!

Along with Deja Vu, which zagato also mapped, we now have complete maps of all three "MacVenture" games ported to the NES!  It's nice to see a series of sorts fully mapped!

...at least on one platform.  There's a sequel to Deja Vu, also seen in a two-pack on the GBC (which would be closest to the NES experience), and a 2014 Shadowgate remake.  And then there's Beyond Shadowgate on the TGCD, ANOTHER game also titled "Beyond Shadowgate" coming out soon on current platforms (close to the NES experience), Shadowgate 64 (I don't like this one, personally), and Shadowgate VR: The Mines Of Mythrok (which I have but haven't played much of... I don't like that the option for archnophobes replaces the spiders with cartoony spiders but they're still disturbing when they jump at you)...

I'd never say no to any maps, but of these, I'd be most looking forward to the three games most like the NES ones (Deja Vu II on GBC, the 2014 Shadowgate, and Beyond Shadowgate (the upcoming one).

But, we shouldn't let that distract from what we're so content to finally have today.  Thanks again, zagato blackfist, for these two horror point-and-clicks!

Offline mechaskrom

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2024, 05:45:12 pm »
Just wanted to thank you, zagato blackfist, for mapping Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu. Shadowgate is an old favorite that I played a lot when I was young.

I've always wanted maps for these games and even thought about mapping them myself. You did an excellent job and also including all screens in a separate image was a nice touch.
Some tools and other stuff I've made:
https://github.com/mechaskrom

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2024, 09:43:58 pm »
Uh... what about Sword Master? I don't think that game's on the NES map collection yet. I looked. Did you even think of it? Its also one of NES' games that did include parallax scrolling... mostly.

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2024, 02:10:41 pm »
Just wanted to thank you, zagato blackfist, for mapping Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu. Shadowgate is an old favorite that I played a lot when I was young.

I've always wanted maps for these games and even thought about mapping them myself. You did an excellent job and also including all screens in a separate image was a nice touch.

Glad to hear. I'm sending in an updated version of screens.png because, this being my first time playing Shadowgate, I kept forgetting that you can burn things with your torch. I burned a few more rugs on a second playthrough and added the Japanese version of the EPOR room.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2024, 10:57:02 am »
Uh... what about Sword Master? I don't think that game's on the NES map collection yet. I looked. Did you even think of it? Its also one of NES' games that did include parallax scrolling... mostly.

Sword Master looks all right.

Of course, I accept ANY kind of map from ANY platform, and it's incredibly rare for me to reject anything.  Of course, NES ones are nice if we do want to seriously try to have EVERY NES game mapped, as has been discussed here and there.  So I wouldn't say I DON'T want Sword Master maps, of course not, I certainly do!  If someone's willing to map it, go for it!

But I don't know about adding it to the list of my personal requests.  These listed in the original post are ones that I would like to see in particular.  (Yes, I legitimately want maps of Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure.  Don't judge me.)  I almost feel like I should actually be REMOVING some games from this list, to draw more attention to the ones of these that I want the most, to make them more likely - assuming this list even encourages anybody - and to appear a little less needy or flippant (if anyone thinks that).

I was also thinking of bolding or italicizing or somehow highlighting certain ones that are really surprising to me that haven't been mapped yet.  But I worry if that might look more like incredulousness, or entitlement, like "why haven't these been mapped yet???" I already feel it's already a bit snobby to even have a list at all, why would I risk sounding even more demanding?  (Even IF it totally blows my mind that we don't have maps of the first two Monkey Island games (PC), come on, they're classics!  Or popular indie games in the last decade, like, where's Undertale?  :P)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 10:58:30 am by JonLeung »

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2024, 12:56:21 pm »
Sword Master looks all right.

Of course, I accept ANY kind of map from ANY platform, and it's incredibly rare for me to reject anything.  Of course, NES ones are nice if we do want to seriously try to have EVERY NES game mapped, as has been discussed here and there.  So I wouldn't say I DON'T want Sword Master maps, of course not, I certainly do!  If someone's willing to map it, go for it!

But I don't know about adding it to the list of my personal requests.  These listed in the original post are ones that I would like to see in particular.  (Yes, I legitimately want maps of Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure.  Don't judge me.)  I almost feel like I should actually be REMOVING some games from this list, to draw more attention to the ones of these that I want the most, to make them more likely - assuming this list even encourages anybody - and to appear a little less needy or flippant (if anyone thinks that).

I was also thinking of bolding or italicizing or somehow highlighting certain ones that are really surprising to me that haven't been mapped yet.  But I worry if that might look more like incredulousness, or entitlement, like "why haven't these been mapped yet???" I already feel it's already a bit snobby to even have a list at all, why would I risk sounding even more demanding?  (Even IF it totally blows my mind that we don't have maps of the first two Monkey Island games (PC), come on, they're classics!  Or popular indie games in the last decade, like, where's Undertale?  :P)

It doesn't have to be for your personal requests. I'm just trying to cover all bases of the VGMaps' Atlas, which is the purpose, and maps of many games need to be seen.

Yes, we all like our highly popular classics, like Monkey Island, Undertale, but we can't forget about others, too, even obscure games. And yes, even indies, too.

It is always great to see the map collection growing, but I know there's still lots more to keep it growing even more. And I know everyone's efforts will still be all worthwhile in complete perpetuity.

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2024, 01:15:50 pm »
I don't see any NSwitch game in you request. It's kinda weird because it's a modern and popular conсole with many modern games

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2024, 02:45:23 pm »
I don't see any NSwitch game in you request. It's kinda weird because it's a modern and popular conсole with many modern games

Of course there's not in that list, G.E.R.. There's so many games there, but whichever he chooses is up to him.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2024, 10:59:27 pm »

I mean, I could list every game that I like, but many 3D games from the last few console generations aren't in my request list because I don't know if they can be easily mapped.  If they are technically possible to map, and someone does so well, then great!

VGCartography and G.E.R. have certainly surprised me with maps from the first 3D era and even more recent generations.  I just didn't want my list too look TOO ambitious.  I mean, it already is, kinda.  In any case, yes, I would be happy to be proven wrong if people can easily map Switch games!

I'm pretty sure I mentioned some more recent 2D indie games under "PC" - you can see I put the years for those ones, and likely most of them from 2017 to 2024 that are listed ARE also on Switch.  I just imagine that such games would probably be easier to map from the PC version, which is why I listed those games there.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 08:58:36 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2024, 08:27:47 pm »
zagato blackfist gives us Hallowe'en in July with Sweet Home (J).

A Capcom RPG based on a Japanese horror film of the same name, this game is one of the inspirations for Resident Evil.

(Not to be confused with the South Korean Netflix horror series with the same name, but a totally different story.)

I like that there are descriptions of various items and a list of weapons on the main map of the Mansion.  Pretty handy!

Always happy to see an email from zagato blackfist with the subject header of a NES (or Famicom) game that I requested.  Keep up the good work!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2024, 05:31:06 pm »
I'm so happy someone finally made a full map of the game showing all the connections between areas!

RPGClassics has had a full set of maps for many years but all areas were separated and you had to click on doors and stairs to navigate the mansion. Somewhat immersive, but I much prefer zagato blackfist's version!
Current project:
Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP)

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2024, 10:03:09 pm »
Yeah, as soon as I had all the rooms in my collection I decided that I definitely wanted to make this one big map, if even remotely possible.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2024, 03:47:05 pm »
Spanettone has submitted a full map set for Scurge: Hive.

It's a late-era GBA release (though it got a DS version as well) that's been described by many as "isometric Metroid".  And you know I love maps of isometric games and anything to do with, or trying to be like Metroid.

Thanks, Spanettone!

(Whenever I think of Scurge: Hive, I ALSO think of Juka And The Monophobic Menace, ANOTHER isometric GBA/DS game developed by Orbital Media and released in 2006.  Juka's ALSO on my requests list.  ;))