Author Topic: Something to try for image smushing  (Read 19223 times)

Offline avalanch

Something to try for image smushing
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:34 pm »
https://wordpress.org/plugins/ewww-image-optimizer/

Basically, you install wordpress and point it to a folder to optimize.  I think this can be done in 2 ways.  Optimizing locally or with a paid cloud service.... which I haven't looked into the paid option yet.  Just happened to stumbleupon it today and it reminded me of vgmaps, it might be a good choice to help cut down some of the image sizes.  No need to even keep WP installed after it's finished since that's all this mod requires to run.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:17:20 pm by avalanch »

Offline denilsonsa

Re: Something to try for image smushing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:48:57 pm »
I know this topic is a bit old, but I see no reason to install WordPress and that plugin just to losslessly optimize images.

It is possible to just run "optipng" (or "pngcrush", or any tool) through "find" and "xargs", even using all cores available in the machine.

Here is a list of tools I've found (some of them are also used by the WordPress plugin mentioned above):

• ImageOptim - GUI for Mac OS X that uses several other tools
  • ImageOptim-CLI - command-line tool for Mac OS X
  • PNGGauntlet - GUI for Windows that uses several other tools
  • Trimage - GUI for Linux that uses several other tools
  • PNGOUT and PNGOUTWin - command-line and GUI for Windows
  • OptiPNG - command-line tool, known to be one of the best
  • Pngcrush - command-line tool (one of the oldest for this purpose)
  • PNGOptim - command-line tool for Windows that uses PNGOUT and Zopflipng
  • zopfli - command-line tool, supposedly the best available
  • zopflipng_in_place - script around zopflipng
  • Jpegoptim - command-line lossless and lossy JPEG optimization tool
  • mozjpeg - optimized JPEG compression library
  • scour - command-line tool to optimize SVG files
Of course, there may be others, but I hope this list is useful.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 10:44:34 am by denilsonsa »

Offline chloe2710

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:27:20 am »
So helpful, thanks so much  :-* :-* :-*

Offline avalanch

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »
Nowadays I just use these programs.

JPEG & PNG Stripper - removes metadata, exif data and other "junk data" for pngs & jpegs (preferred)
Jstrip removes metadata, exif data and other "junk data" for jpegs only (preferred)
Batchpurifier
BatchPurifierâ„¢ is the ideal tool to remove hidden data & metadata from multiple files.

Hidden data stored in many popular file types may contain confidential and private information that when exposed can cause you and your organization embarrassment with possible financial and legal implications.

Powered by Digital Confidence DataDistiller™ Engine, BatchPurifier™ is able to remove more than 60 types of hidden data from 25 file types, including Microsoft Office® documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)*, OpenOffice™ documents, PDF documents, and popular image and media file types such as JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, SVG, AVI, WAV, AIFF, MP3, MP4, and F4V. BatchPurifier™ can remove hidden data from files even if they are compressed within ZIP files.

Purchase BatchPurifierâ„¢ today and free yourself and your organization from the worry of unintentional sensitive data leakage through the hidden data stored in many popular file types.
FileOptimizer - supports compression/data reduction for multiple file types.  See the list here.  Includes over 50 "plugins", third party scripts like some of the ones mentioned by denilsonsa in one program.
Jpegmini - Lossles batch compression for jpegs only - not free. (preferred)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:41:19 pm by avalanch »