Author Topic: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future  (Read 250819 times)

Offline VGCartography

Re: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2024, 05:45:13 pm »
Unrelated, but I just had a look at your DeviantArt page. I had no idea you were such an excellent artist beyond your stuff on VGMaps! Your work is really impressive, your portraits in particular remind me of official Phoenix Wright artwork. Cool to see all that variety!

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2024, 07:40:41 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, Cyartog959, but I think anything beyond the fourth generation is kind of the opposite of "simpler" for me. I tend to like working on games from the 1980s and the first half of 1990s, or games with similar aesthetics that would've fit in that era, Nox Archaist being one such example (I've only released the overworld so far, but will eventually get around to everything else some day).

Well, that's fine, and I know you prefer your more simpler routine, but there are others still in need of mapping, and that game may have to be sometime later. A good DSi compatible emulator can do the trick for it, though, I understand you're not versed on that.

As far as some have played, being a bite-sized content-packed RPG for DSiWare, I can presume its maps may not be quite too large/complex, 'cause it had to adhere to the tight limit of 20MB at the time.

Mappers do have to cover all corners in game cartography history sooner or later.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2024, 10:10:25 pm »
Well, that's fine, and I know you prefer your more simpler routine, but there are others still in need of mapping, and that game may have to be sometime later. A good DSi compatible emulator can do the trick for it, though, I understand you're not versed on that.

As far as some have played, being a bite-sized content-packed RPG for DSiWare, I can presume its maps may not be quite too large/complex, 'cause it had to adhere to the tight limit of 20MB at the time.

Mappers do have to cover all corners in game cartography history sooner or later.

You may want to curb your enthusiasm there, buddy.

It matters not whether I'm versed in NDS game mapping or not: I'm simply not interested in mapping DS games. There isn't enough attention being paid to DS games that haven't yet been mapped? Not my problem.

Also you're suggesting a game I've never ever heard of. Why would I spend any of my time on something I know nothing about?

If you are willing to offer to pay several thousand dollars to get it mapped, then I would give it consideration certainly, but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

Besides, have you ever thought of working on it yourself? ;)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2024, 10:17:04 pm »
Unrelated, but I just had a look at your DeviantArt page. I had no idea you were such an excellent artist beyond your stuff on VGMaps! Your work is really impressive, your portraits in particular remind me of official Phoenix Wright artwork. Cool to see all that variety!

Thanks so much for the kind words, VGCartography! ;D I'm glad you enjoy my artistic output.

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2024, 12:27:01 pm »
You may want to curb your enthusiasm there, buddy.

It matters not whether I'm versed in NDS game mapping or not: I'm simply not interested in mapping DS games. There isn't enough attention being paid to DS games that haven't yet been mapped? Not my problem.

Also you're suggesting a game I've never ever heard of. Why would I spend any of my time on something I know nothing about?

If you are willing to offer to pay several thousand dollars to get it mapped, then I would give it consideration certainly, but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

Besides, have you ever thought of working on it yourself? ;)

OK, I understand your reasons and yes, its true you've not heard of it and you're not interested. I only saw some videos about the game because I felt I would inform the community.

I'm only new around here. Thanks, but I ain't yet a skilled mapper. I don't know anyone else who could do it yet.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2024, 09:55:19 pm »
OK, I understand your reasons and yes, its true you've not heard of it and you're not interested. I only saw some videos about the game because I felt I would inform the community.

I'm only new around here. Thanks, but I ain't yet a skilled mapper. I don't know anyone else who could do it yet.

Well, you won't ever get skilled if you never try, right? ;)

I know most of the low-hanging fruit is long gone on the more popular consoles, but there's still thousands upon thousands of games that're within reach for a newbie mapper to practice on. There's also nothing stopping you from mapping games that have already been done if what you're after is getting better at mapping. You could map out Super Mario Bros. for instance. While Jon probably won't accept them as proper submissions, you can post them here on the forums and ask for feedback. Then try another game that's slightly more challenging to do and keep repeating that process until you get to the point where you're submitting for games that aren't present on the site yet.

The thing is, you're not gonna get anything done by poking and prodding people on these forums to do the games you want seen done. It's only going to cause annoyance and resentment. No one likes anyone who's all talk and no action. "Be the change you want to see", as the saying goes. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 10:06:47 pm by FlyingArmor »

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2024, 01:03:40 am »
Well, you won't ever get skilled if you never try, right? ;)

I know most of the low-hanging fruit is long gone on the more popular consoles, but there's still thousands upon thousands of games that're within reach for a newbie mapper to practice on. There's also nothing stopping you from mapping games that have already been done if what you're after is getting better at mapping. You could map out Super Mario Bros. for instance. While Jon probably won't accept them as proper submissions, you can post them here on the forums and ask for feedback. Then try another game that's slightly more challenging to do and keep repeating that process until you get to the point where you're submitting for games that aren't present on the site yet.

The thing is, you're not gonna get anything done by poking and prodding people on these forums to do the games you want seen done. It's only going to cause annoyance and resentment. No one likes anyone who's all talk and no action. "Be the change you want to see", as the saying goes. ;)

You're very spot-on for valid points. I don't want to be too demanding on anything.

Should I decide to do mapping myself, well, I'm sure I'll have fun doing it. What I'd use and do for mapping, in terms of tools and techniques, that's something I've not yet thought of where to start. Not that it is difficult or anything.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2024, 10:31:12 am »
You're very spot-on for valid points. I don't want to be too demanding on anything.

Should I decide to do mapping myself, well, I'm sure I'll have fun doing it. What I'd use and do for mapping, in terms of tools and techniques, that's something I've not yet thought of where to start. Not that it is difficult or anything.

After reading all your responses on this forum over the past few days, I'm starting to think you may simply be an AI bot... 🤔

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2024, 11:12:43 am »
After reading all your responses on this forum over the past few days, I'm starting to think you may simply be an AI bot... 🤔
Please. Don't go there. I'm 100% human. None like that are around. But we must stay protected, though.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2024, 12:14:44 pm »
Please. Don't go there. I'm 100% human. None like that are around. But we must stay protected, though.

Haha, just checking. ;)

If you're really human, then you're really good at controlling your emotions, unlike a certain someone that was active many years ago demanding us to work on Looney Tunes games. Some of us gave the slightest pushback, and he exploded with rage. It's rather hilarious now looking back on it all these years later. 😆

Offline Cyartog959

« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2024, 03:31:14 pm »
Haha, just checking. ;)

If you're really human, then you're really good at controlling your emotions, unlike a certain someone that was active many years ago demanding us to work on Looney Tunes games. Some of us gave the slightest pushback, and he exploded with rage. It's rather hilarious now looking back on it all these years later. 😆

Yeah. I laughed a bit now that you mentioned it. Thanks, though.

Was the singular demand for whatever Looney Tunes games that guy wanted that high to warrant pushback for the mappers? Sorry you went through that trouble.