Author Topic: Star Trek and Star Wars now exist in the same multiverse!  (Read 56526 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Star Trek and Star Wars now exist in the same multiverse!
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:52:38 pm »

Wallpaper:

800 x 600

1024 x 768

1280 x 960

1920 x 1440

Bizarre, you say?  Let's see...

1. Star Trek characters and the X-Men (including Wolverine) have teamed up in a crossover comic...

2. Wolverine has met The Transformers in the New Avengers/Transformers crossover...

3. Optimus Prime and Megatron have fought a number of Konami, Hudson, and Takara characters in DreamMix TV World Fighters, including Simon Belmont, that Beyblade kid, Bomberman, and Solid Snake...

4. Solid Snake meets Link in Super Smash Bros.: Brawl...

5. Link battles the Soul Calibur characters in the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II...

6. And finally, the Soul Calibur characters face off against Star Wars characters Yoda and Darth Vader in Soul Calibur IV.

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all, but certainly the completion of a Star Trek/Star Wars connection must cause glee to some geek somewhere.  :P

Originally I had it where in DreamMix TV World Fighters, the characters had met Bomberman, who has met Wario in Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman!, and Wario meeting Link in Super Smash Bros.: Brawl, but remembering about Solid Snake cut that step out.

A variation that adds steps has Solid Snake meeting Mario in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario meeting Pac-Man in the arcade game Mario Kart GP, and Pac-Man meeting Astaroth (A Soul Calibur character) in the GameCube party game Pac-Man Fever...

I know there are now Marvel Transformers toys (including one of Wolverine) but that doesn't really count, in my opinion...but at least I managed to confirm that Wolverine did meet The Transformers (#2 above).  Earlier I had it that the X-Men (and other Marvel characters, and other DC Comics characters too) have met Spider-Man, who in turn has met the Transformers a couple times.  I also recall an Attactix game with Transformers Vs. Star Wars, if I can confirm that, that cuts out many steps...almost to the point of being no fun, though.

(I don't care if DreamMix TV World Fighters and the Soul Calibur guest appearances are non-canonical!)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 09:52:06 am by JonLeung »

Offline Eggz

RE: Star Trek and Star Wars now exist in the same multiverse!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:52:24 pm »
You just made many a geek's wet dream come true Jon. :p

And wow, that's some major dedication to put all that together, and some real research. (I'm not into comic books, so if it's not that far-fetched to know all that stuff, it's just beyond me, haha)

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:06:32 am »
Going by those rules, that (in)famous 80s horror "Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue" drug special probably helped bring together 95% of all existing fiction together :P

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:05:30 am »
What do you know, Wolverine was indeed in that Transformers/Avengers crossover...

I'll edit the above and it is indeed "Six Degrees Of Separation"!

And TerraEsperZ, that whole TV multiverse thing is insane!  o_0  Awesome find!  Though I'm guessing some links are iffy, it's certainly easier when many shows take place in the present day, and it's not hard, especially within the same network, for an actor, in character, to make some cameos on other shows.

I like the crossovers in comics where somewhat epic stuff actually happens (ironically I haven't read any of them other than the summaries on Wikipedia, but the ideas are appealing), though the video game mash-ups and cameos where the meeting isn't fully or well-explained (DreamMix TV World Fighters, the guests in Soul Calibur, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe (I'm guessing), etc.) are still interesting enough, and often key to linking the more disparate properties together.

I mean, extending from the above, the Marvel Comics characters have met the DC Comics characters, Batman has met a Predator (I'm not counting that Internet fan film a few years back, but rather the comic Batman Versus Predator), and the Predators (if we can extend it to the whole race or whatever) have met Aliens.  Who would've guessed that Aliens and Bomberman are in the same realm of fiction?  o_0  I remember Lara Croft has fought Aliens too...

And yes, I do remember the Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue.  Weren't the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in there?  And Garfield?  If I'm remembering correctly, that could do a lot.  Surely some comics characters must have met the TMNT... (I know The Punisher met Archie, maybe Archie met the TMNT at some point?  That's a guess.)  And maybe we can go from Garfield to some of the other daily newspaper comics, there must've been a crossover at some point, like in the April Fool's Day ones...

I actually don't read comic books at all, it's rather suprising how much I know about them just from a few key cartoons and Wikipedia.  :P  And a memory that likes to latch onto anything remotely quirky...I never would've known about Batman Versus Predator if not for a random poster at a video game rental place this one time.  That was all it took for me to file it in my geeky memory.  :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:26:32 pm »
I just updated the first post with images.  I figured somebody might like this as their desktop wallpaper.  Maybe.

EDIT: Now a bunch of guests are looking at this topic.  Hi there!

EDIT: As of 10:00 PM Mountain Time, 83 out of 85 guests are looking at this topic.  o_0  Wow, it must be because of this:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=50698

(Though how come GoNintendo never posted my April Fool's joke, The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours?  That was a hundred times more work to make.  :(  Ah well.)

Offline AZNsupermarket

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:43:05 am »
I was able to get it down to 4 degrees of seperation

Captain James T. Kirk

(1) Star Trek/X-Men (1996)

Wolverine

(2) Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1998)

Ryu

(3) Namco × Capcom (2005)

Mitsurugi Heishiro

(4) Soul Calibur IV (2008)

Darth Vader

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:05:53 pm »
Even better! The countless amount of Star Trek vs Star Wars essays, debates and fanfics, can reduce the whole thing to a single degree of separation :)

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:34 pm »
Touch?, AZNsupermarket.  I have been bested.  Awesome work!  o_0

I like Optimus and Link, though.  :P  My brother's favorite characters include Ryu and Mitsurugi.  Being a fighting game fan he loves Marvel Vs. Capcom.  Funny how that works out, it almost looks like something he could've come up with.

I'd sure like to try Namco x Capcom one day, too, if only it were in English (yes, I'm aware of the fan translation in progress).

Anyway, I've been trying other "six degrees of separation" things.  I've got Indiana Jones to Lara Croft (or vice versa) down to seven.

At first I managed to link Lara to Darth Vader, but then went from there to Indy via LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga where LEGO Indy is a special character.  But then I didn't think LEGO Indy was really the same as Indy.  And it was like ten steps or so anyway.

Then I remembered that in one of the Young Indiana Jones films, Indy has faced off against Dracula.  Weird as it is, it's probably the only way to tie Indy into other fiction.  If we assume it's the same as the Castlevania Dracula (just go with it), I can get it down to seven.  I'm wondering if the Marvel Comics Dracula might be easier...

Though a fun exercise, this also boosted the hits to the forum last night to well over 100 guests at one point before I went to bed, with nearly all of them looking at this topic.  I'm always looking for new ways to bring people to VGMaps.com, though this was kind of an odd way to do so.  :P  At the moment all guests are looking here now.  0_0

Offline AZNsupermarket

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:22:51 pm »
When I first heard about star wars being in soul calibur IV, I tried creating a chain between star wars and star trek very similar to your own. Unfortunately, I didn't know about star trek: the original series direct cross over with x-men (I did know about a star trek: next generation/x-men crossover). I also didn't know about the transformers/x-men crossover and was stuck.

An alternate five degree of seperation can also be done this way:

Captain James T. Kirk

Wolverine

(2) DC vs. Marvel (1996)

Batman

(3) Spawn: Batman (1994)

Spawn

(4) Soul Calibur II (2003)

Mitsurugi Heishiro

(5) Soul Calibur IV (2008)

Darth Vader

Offline AZNsupermarket

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
BTW, you were right about AttackTix - http://www.amazon.com/AttackTix-Battle-Figure-Game-Transformers/dp/B000ELIXFY

So it looks like one way to find a connection between star trek and star wars is:

Captain James T. Kirk

Wolverine

(2) New Avenger/Transformer (2007)

Optimus Prime

(3) AttackTix Battle Figure Game - Star Wars vs. Transformers

Darth Vader

I believe the final tally is three degrees of seperation.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Star Trek and Star Wars now exist in the same multiverse!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:38:36 am »

An upcoming series from IDW called "Infestation" will bring G.I. Joe, Star Trek, Transformers, and Ghostbusters together.  Well, almost.  The article says "Other than the direct threat of zombie infestation itself, there will not be any crossover between the licensed titles."  But at least they share a cover together.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:29 pm »
I finally bought the first volume of Infestation, and it's okay...  the Transformers segment requires Transformers Spotlight: Kup to be read first, which luckily I had.  It's not a real crossover as I mentioned.  A friend mentioned that volume 2 is better...I'll think about it.

Anyway I just wanted to bring up this topic because of the news that J.J. Abrams, who directed the Star Trek reboot, is apparently going to be at the helm for the next Star Wars movie.  So there's a behind-the-scenes connection.

Earlier Namco X Capcom was mentioned.  There was also recent news this week that Project X Zone (that Namco/Capcom/Sega cossover) for the 3DS is coming out to the rest of the world, so won't be limited to the Japanese.  That's exciting!  Or should I say...  X-citing?

Though often the "X" is apparently pronounced as "cross".  Pokémon Conquest is called Pokémon X Nobunaga's Ambition in Japan, I believe.  With Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem announced yesterday, Street Fighter X Mega Man last month, and Street Fighter X Tekken and its upcoming inverse, Tekken X Street Fighter, I think crossovers prefer using it than "Vs." (though we still have Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney to look forward to).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:28:15 am by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:30 am »
Both Infestation series are not the kind of crossovers most people think of when hearing that word. It's actually more like the "crossovers" the Star Trek novels used to do (Gateways, Double Helix, Captain's Table, etc) where you'd get a book from each series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) where the crew faced a similar or related threats/situation but otherwise remained separate.

I bought the full Infestation Volume 2 a few weeks ago but I haven't read it yet. It sounds more interesting than the first one if only because the threat this time is heavily inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos *and* the Transformers portion actually takes place in the Hearts of Steel universe :).
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 10:43:25 pm »
Despite the idea being a few years old, I have since expanded this to a huge multiverse connecting so much more.  I revisit the original idea here in this YouTube video, potentially the first in a series.