Author Topic: 2006/09: Kid Chameleon (Genesis) - DarkWolf  (Read 22758 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2006/09: Kid Chameleon (Genesis) - DarkWolf
« on: September 01, 2006, 11:19:41 am »
User posted image

Kid Chameleon

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to DarkWolf's Kid Chameleon (Genesis) maps.

Ah, September, the month for going back to school.  So for this month, let's go back to kicking it oldschool.  Back in the late '80s and '90s, when the name "Kid" was cool and dark shades and leather jackets were hip, a shades-and-leather-jacket-wearing-cool-guy named Kid Chameleon was the star of this Sega Genesis platformer.

You can't say much about the story.  It's something about a seemingly unbeatable holographic arcade game that captured the kids who played it, and this Kid Chameleon guy takes on the game's boss, Heady Metal, to save everyone.  But the game is considered by some to be a classic.  The various helmets that let Kid Chameleon morph into different forms with unique abilities is certainly fun.  But for a platformer, it was on the long side - there are 100 areas, and some of them are quite vast!

DarkWolf has contributed many Genesis maps, including all 100 maps for this platforming classic.  It's fitting that he should be the first to get the honour of Mapmaker Of The Month for a Sega game!

So to recognize the effort put into making these classic Sega maps, DarkWolf's Kid Chameleon maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for September 2006.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: 2006/09: Kid Chameleon (Genesis) - DarkWolf
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:30:08 am »
I think it's also important to note that he didn't just make the maps with screen captures; DarkWolf actually wrote some utility to find and extract the levels automatically (or nearly so). That makes him that much more badass as a mapper :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 05:49:28 pm »
Ah, that's true.

For goodness sakes, can someone explain to me why I copy the exact same code from any other topic for posting images, change the image filename to that of this month's, and it won't show up at all, yet it'll show up if I use the link to it after being uploaded to ImageShack?  

It even REMOVES the code that includes the proper link.  WTF.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:22:26 pm »
Thanks, I didn't expect to get one of these so soon.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 08:08:26 pm »
Well, like I said, you have been contributing a lot of maps lately.  It was time for about time for a Sega game to get one, and since you seem to love the Genesis, hey, why not?  Congrats.