Author Topic: 2017/05: RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC) - RoberTime  (Read 10538 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2017/05: RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC) - RoberTime
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:46:00 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to RoberTime's RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC) maps.

It's May!  Now that it's late spring, the theme parks are opening up - so it's time to get on those coasters!

There are many simulation games on the PC, but only a few of them really stand out.  One of them is MicroProse's RollerCoaster Tycoon, where one can manage a theme park, and build some attractions, which include roller coasters (of course).  The track editor has a great variety of configurations, so from slow simple rides to speedy death-defying loops, you can build pretty much any kind of coaster you can imagine.

Various scenarios have you managing an already-existing park, whether already booming, or failing and in need of revival, or, of course, building one entirely from scratch.  Including the "Corkscrew Follies" and "Loopy Landscapes" expansions, you have 86 such areas to work with.  RoberTime has captured all these areas, and if not primarily navigational (while one can easily get lost in any theme park, you can't really get lost here, from this perspective), they are certainly quite nostalgic, for anyone who has enjoyed this theme park simulator on the PC.  Either way, you won't have to buy these maps at any kiosk - all these maps are here for your perusal!

So for taking us for a ride down the tracks of nostalgia, RoberTime's RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for May 2017.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:05:19 am by JonLeung »

Offline RoberTime

Re: 2017/05: RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC) - RoberTime
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »
Well! I wasn't expecting this project to be featured, but I acknowledge the fact that this game has the seasonal match. To be honest, there wasn't much effort into mapping this compared to my other Maps of the Month a few years ago on VVVVVV. As mentioned in my mapping topic, I just had to load each map onto OpenRCT2 - which were fully ported versions compatible with the program - and used the "Giant Screenshot" feature to rip the entire map in a blink of an eye. Another thing I would like to point out is that some maps, like Urban Jungle, don't display the full map that the bottom corner is cut off a bit. I might fix this eventually.

I will be doing RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 soon following the same method as I did before, as it uses the same exact engine than the first one. Thank you for the showcase!