Author Topic: 2014/09: Final Fantasy IV (Super NES) - FlyingArmor  (Read 11526 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2014/09: Final Fantasy IV (Super NES) - FlyingArmor
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:37:43 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to FlyingArmor's Final Fantasy IV (Super NES) maps.

After retrieving an elemental crystal from another kingdom, Dark Knight Cecil, Captain of the Red Wings of Baron, questions the King and his intentions.  Relieved of his command, Cecil's loyalty is tested with a task to deliver a package to the town of Mist.  When the package ends up destroying the town, Cecil vows to make amends.  With his friend Kain, the summoner girl Rydia, and a number of other allies he meets along the way, he will not only redeem himself but end up saving the world from an unimaginable evil.

Airships!  Crystals!  Fiends!  Final Fantasy IV is one of the definitive Final Fantasy games.  Pioneering many console RPG features, it was one of the first games in the 16-bit era to popularize JRPGs in the West.  Originally released as "Final Fantasy II" outside of Japan (due to the original II and III not having yet been released outside of their homeland), it has since been renumbered back with the proper number in its (numerous) rereleases since then, on the PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, DS, PlayStation Portable, and iOS devices.

Veteran 16-bit RPG cartographer FlyingArmor stepped up yet again, mapping it all thoroughly for us to be able to use as a real guide or to reminisce this incredible adventure.  Now that may be on par with his other excellent works, but this time around he took it a step further and mapped both versions of the game!  Between the original Final Fantasy IV and the revised Final Fantasy II were more differences than just the number and language.  For example, the southwest corner of the Town of Baron has some buildings rearranged.  Little things like that may be inconsequential to most players, but thanks to FlyingArmor, it's easier than ever to compare such details for those who are interested.

So to recognize the effort of finally mapping this definitive Final Fantasy, FlyingArmor's Final Fantasy IV (Super NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for September 2014.

Offline FlyingArmor

Re: 2014/09: Final Fantasy IV (Super NES) - FlyingArmor
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 08:44:33 pm »
It's always an honour to have my work recognized in this way. Not to mention for a very well known game to boot! Thanks very much! :D

Now I'll go back to watching Baby Steps and hold myself back from throwing up my dinner. I got a cold yesterday, so I'm a bit queasy at the moment...